Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Monday 11th February 2008

Monday
Got a call from Dr Alex at the Marsden this morning; it seems that they just got the results of my thyroid function test and the TSH is way too high. TSH is produced when the body is short of thyroxin and apparently the depression of the thyroid function is a known side effects of the trial drugs I’m on and even people who don’t normally have thyroid problems tend to end up getting put on to thyroxin drugs. I’ve had an under-active thyroid for years and I’m already taking 125 mgs of thyroxin daily, I agreed with my GP to put it up to 150mg and the Marsden will check again in a month when we may need to increase the dose again; it’s safer to increase it gradually as a sudden increase can cause problems.

Anyway in a way the thyroid thing is really good news as it’s something which can be controlled by medication and it may be an explanation for why I’ve been so tired and lethargic recently. We just put it down to an inevitable side effect of the chemo so it can be treated that will be a great bonus to my quality of life.

Felt much better today anyway, the diarrhoea seems to be clearing up and I did have a little more energy so we went out for a walk to the reservoir and as the weather was so beautiful we walked for about 40 minutes. After a nap we then did a big supermarket shop which was very useful and I even had the energy to cook dinner so it was a very good day.

Phil finished reading the Phoenix and the Carpet which was such a great book it felt like saying goodbye to a friend; still we have another book waiting, the Treasure Hunters is by the same author so we’ll see if it is as good.

2 comments:

Hazel said...

Brilliant choice of the next book! It's better, I think. Have you tried Elizabeth Goudge? I'd recommend starting with The Little White Horse and then, if you can get hold of a copy, moving on to Smoky House.

Paul said...

Hi Jill, it is so interesting to read of your journey through the chemo, etc. Still sending you and Phil lots of Reiki.

Love & Light
Paul