Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Friday 1st February 2008

I’m actually posting this on Tuesday night having had chemo today and being up with my ‘steroid insomnia’; if tomorrow isn’t too bad I’ll try to catch up to date with the blog but in the meantime I’ll post this.

Friday
Feeling much better today and the weather had improved enough that we could do a short walk in the woods.

I’m not sure if I should be pissed off that it all happened just one day too late or pleased that our decision had borne fruit as I strongly suspect that resting up yesterday made the difference and that if I’d insisted on going out last night I’d be feeling really grotty today. Think I’ll go with the positive approach, shame I missed the fun but I’m getting my reward today!

Thursday
Bugger! Bugger! Bugger!

Foul weather all day and still not feeling very well. We did go over to see Dad for a very brief visit but even that knackered me. I had an afternoon nap and was still hoping that the weather and my condition would improve enough to go but in my heart of hearts I knew it was a forlorn hope and that travelling into London for an evening event would be monumentally stupid.

Trying very hard not to sulk because it’s nobody’s fault and being miserable isn’t going to improve the situation by one iota!

Wednesday
Feeling a bit better today, maybe the antibiotics are starting to work. We have an invitation to a select celebration at Madame Tussauds on Thursday night and I’m really keeping my fingers crossed that I’ll be well enough to go. It’s to celebrate the 10th anniversary of China Holidays who are one of Phil’s clients and they’ve been great about keeping a place open for us even though they were over-subscribed.

My Dad was fascinated by China and taught himself to read and write in the language so that he could translate their poetry and he passed the fascination on to me (shame I didn’t get the brains and language skills too).

Anyway to cut a long story short Phil was out working and I finally pulled my finger out and went to the hairdressers so I’ll look good tomorrow. They are called ‘Do Yer Nut’ and are just across the road so I have no excuse for not going more often; they know about my medical situation and Sandra who owns the shop is great about managing to fit me in with little or no notice when I have a ‘good’ day. I had my hair cut and coloured and feel so much better; I never realised that I was so vain but I’m glad I’ve kept my hair, I’m lucky that with the drug combo I’m on people usually don’t lose it so fingers crossed.

Tuesday
More visitors today, Bill and Aletia dropped in to see us during their ‘Grand Tour of the South’ bringing the 3 children; Pandora the middle one is our un-goddaughter (humanist rather than religious ceremony). I never thought I’d have a godchild as I’m not christened and the church therefore takes a dim view of me which I must admit is completely reciprocated. I’m not usually a children person (ask anyone who knows me!) but these 3 are really nice kids very well brought up and a therefore a joy to be with. It probably helped that we had lots of toys left over from our Christmas stockings and also that Ariane, Pandora and I all share a great love of dragons so we looked through one of my dragon books together which was good fun.

Phil who is my own personal dragon since my illness told them when I was starting to feel tired (I was still feeling pretty ill and had had a very bad night) and they went off quite happily to the next stop on their tour.

Saturday 26th to Monday 30th Jan
Still really on grotty on Sat and diarrhoea very bad so I tried the alternate medicine I’ve been given (Codeine Phosphate) you take this 4 times a day but after 1 I felt so ill I had to go back to bed, we thought this might be because I’d already taken the other remedy and also had a hot shower. Therefore on Sunday I took only the Codeine as directed and still felt pretty bad we did manage a longish walk at the reservoir but that we about it. Monday Anne and Arthur went home, it was lovely to see them but I did feel guilty that they had been left on their own so much. It couldn’t be helped; Phil has to do his work and I just had really bad side effects this time, the only consolation is that at least I know the treatment is working and that makes it all worthwhile.

No comments: