Monday, December 17, 2007

Friday 14th December

Friday

A busy day on Friday; I walked up the steep hill (without stopping I’m glad to say) to the doctor’s surgery and had my BP taken (it was low again) We’d bought a BP monitor in Boots a couple f days earlier and I’m comparing that reading to the one’s the nurses do so hopefully I can keep track of it myself in future.

I walked along the high street; I was hoping to get some stocking fillers for Phil but the shops aren’t that great, then I walked back down the hill and had lunch (delicious homemade veg soup).

After lunch I walked up the hill again and then met Richie on the train and we went in together to see Dad; he was sitting up and looking much better and they are going to try to work out a better care package for him.

Thursday

We told Dad that we wouldn’t be able to go and see him for a couple of days cos Phil was training in Aberystwyth, he drove off mid afternoon and then my friend Sam came over and cooked and we watched films and chatted for the evening. I had my blood pressure taken at the doctors and it had come right down to 110/80 so the new medication is working; of course I’m not taking the drugs which were putting it up either so it will be interesting to see what happens when I’m back on the chemo.

Wednesday

Decided to make the most of my chemo break so we went for a good long walk at the reservoir walked for nearly an hour it was very cold and the puddles were covered in ice but so long as we kept walking we were warm as toast. I think the fresh air and exercise did us both good.

Just as we were finishing the walk we got a call that Dad was being admitted to hospital and that they were sending and ambulance for him in an hour or so. We had some lunch back home then went on to the hospital in the afternoon. Once we saw the doctor in the hospital she was able to reassure us that things weren’t as bad as the first message we had mostly it seemed that Dad had got his medication mixed up and hadn’t been taking his thyroxine.

Richie came up a bit later and we went home because we were shattered. Still it was a good thing in the end that I hadn’t had my chemo on Tuesday because I wouldn’t have been fit to go into the hospital to see Dad if I had.

1 comment:

va said...

"Dad had got his medication mixed up and hadn’t been taking his thyroxine."

I've been on that for more than 10 years. They test every 6 months or so and sometimes change the dosage but I almost don't notice I am on it. Although some of the things like menopausal symptoms or arthritic pains could have been side effects of thyroid problems.

I hope all is well with him now? I have forgotten occasionally to take a pill. I always have a glass of water in the bedroom and first thing I carry it to the kitchen where the pills are. If it is still in the bedroom I know I need to go and take a pill :)

Some people have those boxes with days on but you'd need to remember to look in the box. I think the glass of water works better.