Thursday, January 10, 2008

Wednesday 9th January 2008

Wednesday
Up at
6am to get ready for the drive to Sutton, we tend to sleep badly before a chemo trip and Tuesday night was no exception, I think it’s a combination of stress and the knowledge that we have to be up and out by 7am.

Drive in was bad to average just over 2 hours so I was only a couple of minutes late for 9am, Phil dropped my off at the hospital then drove on to Sutton Library to set up and work for the day; it’s cheaper to park at the library then the hospital; the internet access is better and it’s more comfortably set up for working.

After a worrying wait for blood tests I found out at noon that I was good to go and the chemo started at about 1.30, I texted Phil as soon as I had the good news and he was just as relieved as I was.

Finished at around 5.30 (well I say finished; but what I mean is connected up to my 48 hour pump and therefore released into the community). Phil picked me up just before 6 as arranged and for some bizarre reason the trip home was completely clear and we did it in just over an hour; fantastic!

Supper then bed, however I never sleep well on the first night so I’m up now at 5.30 am and writing this to you. I feel fine, just nor sleepy (might be the steroids they give me at the hospital) so I thought I’d get up and do something useful. I’ll probably anp a good bit over the next few days so I’ll catch up on sleep one way or another

Tuesday
We both slept very well and got up late, Phil worked all morning and some of the afternoon. Did a bit of shopping and then popped into Dads with some stuff we had picked up for him.

Had supper; then an early night as we had to get up early on Wednesday for the Marsden trip. Fingers crossed that my counts are okay this time.

Monday
I was still feeling a bit coldish but much better I was still feeling a bit coldish but much better and we both slept very well. I phoned Gulshan at TNS and some other people in the morning while Phil worked and the in the afternoon we went back to
Hyland Park.

This time we visited the house itself, it was £3.40 to get in and was worth it the once but we aren’t all that turned on by stately homes so we probably won’t visit the house itself again. The tea room in the stable block is another matter (they sell Rossi’s ice cream and I had some! As well as coffee for warmth) The ice cream was more of a treat than normal because I adore Rossi’s and also because I can’t eat or touch anything cold for several days after a chemo session so my ice cream intake has been severely restricted recently; for some reason I don’t tend to fancy coffee as much as normal either so the whole experience was stellar!

After our break we started to go for a walk in the grounds but were rained off quite quickly so we went home and snuggled up in front of the fire.

Sunday
Our friend Sam had bought us a tin of Pink Grapefruit Tea from Whittard for a stocking filler and we both loved it so much we had pretty much used it up by today; Phil had been saying he didn’t fancy any and I knew that was so there would be more left for me so I was quite keen to get some more.

I found a shop in Chelmsford so we did a ram raid style dash into Chelmsford to go buy some. Phil was still concerned about my low blood cell count so I wore gloves as not make sure I didn’t pick up any bugs and we just did Whittards and of course a quick look at the bookshop! We bought 6 tins; 3 Pink Grapefruit, 1 Malibu and Pineapple, 1 Lime and Lemon and 1 Blackcurrent and Elderflower. My fav is still the grapefruit but Phil loves the pineapple!

When I was searching for the shop I also checked out parks near Chelsmsford so that we wouldn’t miss our walk o we went on to Hylands House. There was a guided walk setting out from the Park but we missed it so just had a ramble around some of the grounds; it’s huge and we will definitely be back with Phil’s camera!

Out friend Tabbi come over to visit later in the afternoon, we haven’t seen her for a while but with some friends it doesn’t seem to make any difference and we had great fun.

Saturday
We did some housework in the morning then Phil picked up Dad and brought him over for a visit; he stayed till 6ish then Phil took him home. We did manage a bit of a walk in the local woods while Dad had a nap, Dad says he didn’t sleep but he was flaked out when we got home so I suspect that he actually sleeps much more than he thinks!

No comments: